Monday, December 20, 2021

solar electric generators - roof-solar

 


The following are selected responses to my roof-solar written up earlier. I am disappointed in the lack of input per the Joint-plan. There is something fundamental I do here. Every business plan requires hard work to implement. USA methods reduce to one of six types

1. Single direct investments

2. Multiple direct investments 

3. Portfolio

4. LP investments

5. Corporate investment

6. Co-practice

This is followed by several Angels. USA VC deals average 11,7 million dollars, angels average 330 thousand. It is 1/30 times. I, maybe alone, feel that I was a great hungry startup developer but never prospered because no angel dangled a win-win deal before me.

Clearly, I am not hungry enough! But I believe there are many like me, await a juicy business plan ready for limited risk. A limited risk means no cash risk and under 1-year risk at most. A pre-business plan is exactly that. The front end is a business plan leading to a business plan implemented by a careful person to deal with the plan within a year. In this idea, the success of  BP means selling to a banker. If it works, I invest a part.

If I succeed, IIT Roorkee graduates many of who will welcome my pre-BP list. I view them as my co-investor with solving angel fund problems and living up to 1 year. If someone approached me with pre-BP and angel funds for a co-investor role, I would certainly be a civil engineer, forget the USA!

=============

Writes Sir Chakresh -

This topic can be divided into two parts. One part can be devoted to rooftop solar and the second part to commercial solar power generation.

The economics for rooftop top is very simple and straightforward. Irrespective of the capacity of the rooftop, it's a very profitable investment as it starts generating electricity from the day it is installed and connected to the system. Many of my colleagues have got it installed including me and our returns are excellent. We are confident that the investment will pay off in the next five to six years. This return period will reduce further as the solar panels' cost will keep reducing and the unit cost of the electricity will keep on increasing.
Regarding commercial solar power generation, the economics is not so simple. Firstly, the investment is large depending on the capacity of the plant and secondly, the unit rates are reducing day by day because of fierce competition as very large industrial houses have entered into this field. Hence, it's too early to give any meaningful comments on this. I hope, this clarifies at least some of the issues raised in this article.

me: I agree re roof-solar. Mainly looking for data for commercial joint solar. it will be 100 times larger. My principle regret in life is "when I could digest, had no money, now have money (2 years) can't digest." The only way my life as a naastik Hindu makes any sense is to take well-considered risks. I must leave the garden marginally better than I populated. In the USA, the deepest moment came when a nurse recounted the last words on the death bed., most common was "why did I not take the risk".
"When I could risk, had no money, now have money (2 years) let someone invest in win-win deal."


----------------------------
Writes Sir VijayG -
One question about the rooftop case:

What about long-term maintenance costs? What about the loss of efficiency from dust buildup over time? What happens when the roof leaks under a solar panel? What happens when you have to replace the roof (every 20-25 years in the US)? What happens if a growing tree, a new house/building, or a house that has added a second story, starts blocking the sun to your roof?

In my area (Silicon Valley in the US), I don't see too many homes with solar panels. Probably under 10%. Or even less. If the decision were such a no-brainer, as you say, shouldn't I see many more homes using solar panels? 

answers sir Chakresh -

Firstly, let me clarify that there is virtually no maintenance or repairs for fifteen years as the warranty for pannels is given for fifteen years when the system is installed and you may think of replacing the panels if the efficiency goes down drastically. As far as collection of dust on pannels is concerned, the same can be got cleaned at some interval, although it is not a must as the efficiency is not adversely affected to a greater extent even if pannels are not cleaned. 
Generally speaking, no new buildings are constructed close to existing buildings but if it happens, one will have to get the panels raised on the steel frame to avoid any shade on the panels.
In India, solar power generation is always beneficial as the solar system is connected to the grid and we are required to pay for only net consumption i.e units consumed from the gridless the units generated from solar panels.
In case you still need some clarification on solar power generation, I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

me: I consider these for joint-solar too. Says my guy - You consider two guys, one a manager. You have a bigger plot. If it works for 2 bighas. I will expand to 33! I start with self-clean, dust will come, start that as service-0n-call for Roorkeeites with roof-s0lar. An interesting aside, the top surface of the plot is bad and agriculture has to be done in huge pots anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment