Saturday, June 6, 2020

Excerpts and reactions from lifespan by Sinclair 1


[
self link  https://aaqg-arunarya.blogspot.com/2020/06/digilog-new-paradigm-shift-in-aging.html for latest

https://www.pdfread.net/ebook/lifespan-by-david-sinclair-pdf-read/

As I read the most anticipated life-transformational book by the grand-master Dr. Sinclair, it appears to me that it shares one attribute with the previous life-transformational book, meditations by roman emperor Aurelius five years ago - it is a set of notes to self without the idea of publishing - too slow in parts and too fast in others. The quaity of the message makes the pacing irrelevant, one made me a stoic, other makes me a follower of Digilog. These are for the glory of the new Grand-master whose most attractive dedication reads in part: And to my great-great-grandchildren; I am looking forward to meeting
you.


https://aaqg-arunarya.blogspot.com/2020/06/digilog-new-paradigm-shift-in-aging.htm

My stuff is in []. Very hard to believe, Sinclair is 50, and all his family listen to him and are doing very well.
]

[chapter1]
Growing old may seem a distant event, but every one of us will experience the
end of life. After we draw our last breath, our cells will scream for oxygen, toxins
will accumulate, chemical energy will be exhausted, and cellular structures will
disintegrate. A few minutes later, all of the education, wisdom, and memories that
we cherished, and all of our future potential, will be irreversibly erased.

I learned this firsthand when my mother, Diana, passed away. My father, my
brother, and I were there. It was a quick death, thankfully, caused by a buildup of
liquid in her remaining lung. We had just been laughing together about the eulogy
I’d written on the trip from the United States to Australia, and then suddenly she
was writhing on the bed, sucking for air that couldn’t satisfy her body’s demand
for oxygen, staring at us with desperation in her eyes.

All I could think was “No one tells you what it is like to die. Why doesn’t
anyone tell you?” “Every death is violent,” [documentary filmmaker Claude Lanzmann] he said in 2010. “There is no natural death, unlike the picture we like to paint of the father who dies quietly in his sleep, surrounded by his loved ones. I don’t believe in that. Even if they don’t recognize its violence, children come to understand the
tragedy of death surprisingly early in their lives. By the age of four or five, they
know that death occurs and is irreversible. It is a shocking thought for them, a
nightmare that is real.

[chapter 2]
[Grandma Vera.] By her mid-80s, Vera was a shell of her former self, and the final decade of her life was hard to watch. She was frail and sick. She still had enough wisdom left to
insist that I marry my fiancee, Sandra, but by then music gave her no joy and she
hardly got out of her chair; the vibrancy that had defined her was gone.
Toward the end, she gave up hope. “This is just the way it goes,” she told me.
She died at the age of 92. And, in the way we’ve been taught to think about
these things, she’d had a good, long life. But the more I have thought about it, the
more I have come to believe that the person she truly was had been dead many
years at that point
.

Growing old may seem a distant event, but every one of us will experience the
end of life. After we draw our last breath, our cells will scream for oxygen, toxins
will accumulate, chemical energy will be exhausted, and cellular structures will
disintegrate. A few minutes later, all of the education, wisdom, and memories that
we cherished, and all of our future potential, will be irreversibly erased.

I can also very well remember our oldest child, Alex, learning it.
“Dad, you won’t always be around?”
“Sadly, no,” I said.

Alex cried on and off for a few days, then stopped, and never asked me about it
again. And I’ve never again mentioned it, either.


For Robin Marantz Henig, a columnist at the New York Times, the “bitter
truth” about mortality came late in life, after she became a grandparent. “Beneath
all the wonderful moments you may be lucky enough to share in and enjoy,” she
wrote, “your grandchild’s life will be a long string of birthdays you will not live to
see.”

It takes courage to consciously think about your loved ones’ mortality before it
actually happens. It takes even more courage to deeply ponder your own.
What’s the upward limit [of life]? I don’t think there is one. Many of my colleagues
agree. There is no biological law that says we must age. Those who say there is
don’t know what they’re talking about. We’re probably still a long way off from a
world in which death is a rarity, but we’re not far from pushing it ever farther into
the future.

All of this, in fact, is inevitable. Prolonged healthy lifespans are in sight. Yes,
the entire history of humanity suggests otherwise. But the science of lifespan
extension in this particular century says that the previous dead ends are poor
guides
.

[ As a stoic, I know what death is - a contemptible event, life meaning-less, no. of days irrelevant. But I am alive at the first time when death can be conquered in my lifespan by 2030 by methods that make sense to my rational-skeptic mind who has schemed to become guinea-pigs early enough to enjoy first extended life but late enough that major bugs are fixed! This I call the when problem. Why me is called the whyme problem., only solutions are money and world unique encryption which is quantum safe even if Shor capability happens in quantum computers. How problem is also there, imagine that Brigham and MGH are both tied to Harvard as is HCHP in which my ex-wife worked [First h is Harvard]. Time to reignite friendship. Wish-death needed as will run many spans due to needed recovery from TBI! The only scientific-hence-believable solution is integrated AI]

1 comment: